Thursday, August 17, 2006

Am I an easy target?

I wonder if my forehead is written "Come for me, Im a good target". Somehow Im so sick of shunning & excusing myself, that I wonder if i would start to tick them off for approaching me the next time.

My hit target is 9/10. Guess what? Its the number of times I would be approached by insurance agents whenever I walk past a booth. The one missed was when I really purposely shun them from afar. Everywhere is the same: Jurong East, Orchard Road, Woodlands, Yishun etc. Even if I was with a group of friends, I will be the only one to "kena". I wonder if its a blessing or a curse. Imagine walking along Jurong East Interchange & when I saw a group of young adults holding files in their hands, I knew they were out to do survey. Somehow I will develop a feeling that they will approach me, but no matter how "rushed" I appear to be, they will still stop me. Last week I was stopped twice; once in Jurong & the other time in Orchard. The lady @ Jurong sure shocked me. I was walking towards the MRT when she suddenly appeared beside me and commented:"Eh its so strange that you are so free? No need to go NS today meh?" I was so dumbfounded that I paused for 5 sec before asking her "Do I know you?" It's so ridiculous that she assumed that I was an NSF and tried to draw my attention with such a tactless & lame tagline. So what if Im an NSF? Does that make me an even easier target?

"Will you pls stop pestering me? I dun need an insurance policy right now! I even have problem settling my 3 meals!" I really wish I could put this message on my forehead instead, save myself from rejecting them upteem times. Its not that I bear a grudge against insurance people; they are great & polite people. That determination & persistence they possess sure impress me, & I would really like to learn their sheer mental strength that keep them in this line, being surveyed to be the number 2 hated profession by the public.

My question about selling insurance is that: they claim to be helping people by getting them to insure their lives & properties, but is it that necessary to approach people so forthrightly? Doesn't helping goes two ways, that if I really need an insurance, of course I will approach the agent and not the other way round. People on the streets who didnt approach an agent only has 2 reasons: They already have a policy or they are not interested in getting one! One thing for sure is also that since an insurance policy is so important, I would obviously get it from someone close or someone I trust. My personal point of view is that persistent asking & "surveying" will only put people off, Im definitely one of them. But the struggle I face now is that Im taught repeatedly to "Love one another", "Forgive & forget", "Do not judge others"........ So how should I feel? To hate them or welcome them to approach me, or reject them with a smile? "Heee, I dun like the way you approach me but I still love you. Heeee."

No offense to people I know of in the insurance line. Insurance is great, but not for me right now. Thanks but no thanks.

"Inspire me to be the testimonial to others, that I may be that beacon in the darkness"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home